Thursday, October 14, 2010

Art Journaling

Art journaling.  I love the idea, and I have been confronted by it twice in the last month.  Therefore, I have decided to start keeping my own art journal. 

I first saw the idea on the deviantART profile of a friend.  Her mother had suggested she get into art journaling, and really, she the pages she has decided to share in her gallery are beautiful. 
The second time I saw the idea for art journaling was on Facebook.  I follow the Dick Blick Art Supplies page there, and they posted it as an idea for parents to encourage their kids to get into art.  And of course, I thought it was a great idea.
So I started my own. 
The basic idea is to put on the page whatever you are feeling that day, sort of like a diary.  The artist is encouraged to draw, paint, collage, stick, paste, tape, sew, craft...whatever they want...in their journal.  The goal is to keep the journal going for 30 days, one entry every day without fail.  More, of course, is always encouraged!
As a result of the art journal, hopefully, the artist is learning not to be worried about how their work will come out, or spend too much time thinking about what they want to draw (which is my problem) thus losing the idea...Put whatever comes to mind on the page, don't think too hard, just do it.  

For that reason alone, the confidence to draw or paint or scrapbook whatever comes to mind, THE MOMENT it comes to mind, is why I decided to start an art journal.  I have too many problems with thinking my art through, with correcting and correcting and correcting, and in the end, sometimes I'm still not happy with it...I hope that this 'exercise' will help me be more confident and spontaneous in my art...and get my art to reflect my feelings...
Below are my first two art journal entries.

 I'm looking forward to filling this sketchbook with many more pages just like these, and hopefully better.  Perhaps I will post some here from time to time to share my progress.  If not, and you're interested, just look me up on deviantART because I will be sharing quite a few of the pages there.  http://goodnightclover.deviantart.com/

That said, I will now end this entry with some great art journal pages I found on Google.



No comments:

Post a Comment