Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Of Dreams and Drawing

I was really hesitant to post anything today, since I posted yesterday and I'm afraid that I'll run out of meaningless things to talk about.  But I figured, while its still fresh in my mind, I might as well write it. 

Today's topic is dreams, and how one weird dream can conjure up a lot of good ideas.

If you know me well (which I'm guessing if you are reading this you know me well enough), you know that ever since I was little I have had insanely weird dreams, and that I remember most of them.  That comes in pretty handy when I'm lacking inspiration for art or writing.  I have based entire stories on one little snippet of a dream, and of course, the artwork speaks for itself.  I draw what I remember my dreams to look like, and usually those drawings turn into my best works.

Last weekend I dreamed I was being turned into a red dragon for the sole purpose of fighting the blue dragon.  The following drawing came from that dream...


This next one was based on a dream in which my sister and I were sneaking out of my bedroom window (back in my old house) to go explore a haunted house, but my sister heard a noise and thought it was Mom, and got so scared she turned into a cat...






This drawing was also dream inspired.

As were the ideas for several stories I have started featuring these characters...





I'm pretty sure you get the idea...

My point is, pay attention to your dreams.  Write them down if you remember them.  Draw on them for inspiration, because honestly, they can be your greatest source.  Your dreams are the inner you speaking to the outer you...  All you have to do is listen, because you never know what you'll miss if you don't...

To close, here are some pretty, dream-related pictures I found on Google that I really liked.  You know...thought I'd share.









No comments:

Post a Comment