Monday, October 4, 2010

The Wonder of Libraries

Libraries, in my opinion, are one of the greatest things ever created.  And I'm not just saying that because I had the privilege to work in a library for a year. 
Books are amazing and inspirational.  They feed the imagination and educate.  And, because libraries exist, books are readily available to everyone.  Its absolutely wonderful.
 Some people, myself included, cannot afford all of the books they would like to read.  Thanks to libraries, we can just borrow them, and borrow them again, should we wish.  And all we need is a library card.  I love it. 

Someday, I would like to work in a library again.  Out of all the jobs I've ever held, being a librarian was my favorite.  I loved to see people walk through the door and be excited about reading.  I loved being able to check 5 or 6 or more books out to a patron, knowing that they were going to take those books home and read and enjoy them.  It just made me happy.   I loved suggesting books that I had read to be added to the library's collection, because I knew other people would enjoy reading those books too. 
Every week, at least once, I visit my local library to return and take out more books.  It doesn't matter to me that its a mile long walk up the side of a steep, steep mountain, and I'm usually carrying a bag FULL of books.  Its the highlight of my week, every week, and I always find something to bring home and read.




Someday I hope to write and publish my own book and see it on the library shelves.  It would be a dream come true. 
And of course, someday, I would love to have my own personal library.  Ever since I can remember, I've wanted a library like the one Beast gives to Belle in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast."  Honestly, I think that's what got me fascinated with libraries and books to begin with...

I guess what I'm trying to say, in a very round-about sort of way is:  GO TO THE LIBRARY!!! ITS AMAZING!!!!

That said, I would like to thank whoever it was who created the very first library.  You are officially one of history's awesomest people.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment